I will be pleased if you subscribe to my Instagram (instagram.com/uptime.lab) and Twitter (twitter.com/Merocle). I do not post any spam — only my own projects and quite rarely. Your subscription is essential to me!
The need and aims of this project were already described in the Raspberry Pi Rack Server Mark I article.
After assembling and testing the Mark I, I found out that the Raspberry is not as hot as people say, and it is possible to increase the density of devices without any problems. But I also didn’t want to lose the ability to use fast and reliable storage on an SSD (compared to a microSD card).
This was a challenge.
I’m glad to introduce the Mark II, 2U Raspberrry Pi 4 server, 14 Raspberry Pi and 14 SSD disks Samsung T5 or:
- CPUs: 56 ARM64 cores
- RAM: 112 GB
- Storage: 7 TB (up to 28 TB per server)
The assembly is very similar to the Mark I, except that there are much more details. All the same tips are relevant:
- Anything that can be unscrewed should be fixed with a thread lock
- Make sure that the wires have no chance of getting into the fan blades
- Print one or two “blades” together and check how the parts fit together. It may be necessary to change the settings of the slicer. The details fit together with little or no additional processing.
Parts and materials for assembling the case:
- 2 coils Ultimaker Tough PLA Filament, Black – 46,90 € incl. VAT
- 1 coil Ultimaker Tough PLA Filament, White – 46,90 € incl. VAT
- Set of 5 fans Arctic F8 Value Pack, ACFAN0 0061 A – €17.60 incl. VAT
- Power supply for fans 12V2A 7Tipps – EUR 13.99 incl. VAT
- Screws, only M2 and a some M3 are needed, but the set is cheaper M2 M2.5 M3 Hex Socket Socket Screws DIN7991 304 Stainless Steel Hex Countersunk Screws 480pcs – EUR 17.01 incl. VAT
- Adapter with 1 to 6 fans. Cutting off the extra one turns out perfect for my purposes Lüfter Adapterkabel 3Pin auf 6x 3Pin Molex (6x15cm) – €4.40 incl. VAT
~ 248 EUR the price for the platform with fans, excluding the cost of printing and work
- 14 pcs. – Raspberry Pi 4 Modell B (8 GB RAM) – 81,90 € inkl. 19% MwSt.
- 14 pcs. – Raspberry Pi PoE HAT V1.01 – 20,90 € inkl. 19% MwSt.
- 14 pcs. – 500GB Samsung Portable T5 Series MU-PA500B/EU 2.5″ (6.4cm) USB 3.1 schwarz/silber – 89,80 € inkl. 19% MwSt.
- 14 pcs. – Raspberry Pi Kühlkörpersatz – 1,25 € inkl. 19% MwSt.
- 14 pcs. – SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring, White 32GB – EUR 10.99 incl. VAT
~ 2650 EUR the price of the platform (with 19% VAT)
The total cost of the entire server at the moment is about 2900 EUR excluding the cost of work and development. Which I think is a very good result when compared to the ARM platforms available on the market.
You can download models for 3D printing here:
If you like what I do, you can always support me with PayPal:
I’m a systems engineer in JetBrains company. Uptime Lab founder. I’m glad to see you on my website! I hope you find my content useful. Please subscribe to my Instagram and Twitter. I post the newest updates there.